I really would like to write about something besides the weather but the weather that's supposed to head this way is pretty big. Isaac is coming to the island. You'd never know it by the beautiful blue sky, the calm waters, and the peace that is right now. It's beautiful. But the captains have pulled their boats out of the water and yesterday was a busy day for moving things to higher ground and securing anything that you didn't want to wash away. Now the weather forecasters will tell you it's too early to know what it's going to do but have you seen the size of that thing? Even if we don't get a direct hit we're going to get a lot, and I mean a lot of water. They're expecting a 4 to 5 foot tidal surge out of the big guy. Damn, that's a lot of water! So word has it that there will be a mandatory evacuation for everyone on the island. Residents included. And if you're caught on the island you'll be arrested. I wonder if the jail takes dogs? And two cats. I doubt it. I'd better have a back-up plan. With "Debbie" I got about 5 in. in the house. Five feet? Shit! I'm having to take pictures off the wall! It's hard to imagine.
I was lucky enough to find a couple cat carriers yesterday. The area shelter is in a little bit of a pickle themselves and bought up every box carrier that was to be had. There's a mad search to find people to foster even one animal for a couple days. The shelter isn't too far from the water over on the mainland and it's a low area. Not good. I told Karen, the critter keeper, as much as I'd like to help, I've got my hands full with my own family.
So, I've got a couple options. And I guess just seeking higher ground doesn't look like one of them! One of the captains that works for Journey's, the charter boat business on the island, has kindly offered me shelter at his house. Well, if you look at a map, Eastpoint is just across the bridge and may not be quite far enough away from the rising water. The winds wouldn't be a problem it's just that damn water! Then I have a cousin in W. Palm that always has her door open for me and my kids. But I really don't want to go that far because when they do open the bridge back up I want to be over here taking pictures. Really, hopefully this is going to be something that doesn't happen very often and I'd really like to get it on film. Or on my digital card as it is. It has been eight years. Or plan C is to get a room in Tallahassee for a few days and just wait it out there. So I made a reservation for a few nights at a cheap motel and can only hope that Tallahassee doesn't lose it's power for too long. I don't think they'd appreciate me lighting my grill to heat water for my coffee in the morning!
My packing was made a little easier by the fact that I don't have much to begin with and any yard art I have is meant to be in the water anyway. Shells, sponges, driftwood, coral, and salt water friendly plants. The infamous plastic deck furniture would probably end up in someone else's yard so I stacked it and will hope for the best.
But there's not a cloud in the sky. How can this be? How could something so devastating be coming this way? Surely they're mistaken. It wouldn't be the first time the weather forecast was wrong. This has got to be one of those times. The eternal optimist. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst is the motto here and it's a good one.
News Flash!!!! I just had a pow wow with the neighbors and the evacuation plans may have changed due to the change in the direction of the storm through the night. It has made a drastic turn to the west. Alabama seems to be it's target now. It doesn't change the fact that we will still have and storm with lots and lots of water and no power is a given but if I only have to seek higher ground that would be exciting. So it's time to go storm searching and try to see what the mother nature has decided to do next. I'll keep you posted. ( I changed to blue because it's my happy color!) Woody couldn't be happier!!