A special place

"If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, it is a special place where I spend my afternoon."

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Happy 4th of July, on the 6th!

   With summer being here, there's plenty of things I want to write about. And I will, very soon. But before any more time passes, I want to wish everyone a Happy 4th of July. The eagle landing in the pine tree, by my house, seemed very appropriate.

"The Eagle has landed"
   Without a doubt, the 4th of July is the most celebrated holiday on the island. The only thing that brings more people here is the "Chili Cookoff". But, this year, the weather was not on our side. Needless to say, with the loss of revenue, the merchants were not celebrating.     
   The parade on the island was put off until the next day, due to adverse weather. It seemed a little ironic, that they'd cancel it because of rain, since the whole theme of the parade is "how wet can we get". It's the biggest water fight you've ever seen in your life! (I later found out, it wasn't the rain that caused them to postpone it, so much as the wind. The  decorations on all the golf carts wouldn't have stood a chance). 


    I was lucky enough, last year, to be invited to ride on a friend's "Gator" in the parade. People come early to get a good place in line for this abuse. The parade's only about a mile long, going around the center of the island. And the line of vehicles vying for a spot in the parade is every bit that long. The first one in line has finished the parade before the last one in line even gets started.
   I had no idea what I was in for. People on the sidelines bring tubs of ice water to refill their monster sized water guns. And the water balloons are brutal. But the people  that are in the parade are just as well armed . Had I known, I would have at least worn a rain coat, and maybe a suit of armor. And the fire department isn't going to miss the chance to use their hoses. So you really have to pick your enemies wisely!
   The fireworks, on the island, were also cancelled. Apalachicola shot theirs off on the 3rd, which turned out to be a good idea. Ray, my dog, and I went to the end of the street and had a perfect view of the fireworks over the bay. They were beautiful. It's nice to have a dog that actually enjoys them, instead of being afraid of them. Maybe he can tell his friends what they're missing!
  
     So I hope everyone had a good holiday. The summer has just begun! God bless America.





                                                                                    
 

1 comment:

  1. What a fun parade. We had lots of rain in KY for the 4th. Happy 9th!

    ReplyDelete